Preparing your Development Application
If you want to do building work on your property, erect a new building, or increase existing floorspace, you need to lodge a Development Application (DA).
Some minor works may fall under the category of a complying development, and will only require a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).
Before preparing plans, you should contact our Planning Advisers by submitting a planning enquiry. They will advise you if you need to submit a Development Application, and provide guidance about the various controls which apply, such as whether you can add a second storey, or whether your property is heritage listed.
You can also request a more in-depth pre-application meeting with a member of the planning team by submitting a pre-application form. There is a fee for a pre-DA meeting.
Once you have confirmed you need a DA, you should:
- Appoint an architect or draftsperson to draw up your DA, and check it meets the local planning controls set out in our North Sydney Local Environmental Plan (LEP).
- Ensure that you know the lot and Deposited Plan (DP) number of your property.
- Complete our Development Application Checklist and Declaration form and make sure you have PDFs (no larger than 20Mb in size) of all the required plans and documents, including a Statement of Environmental Effects and landowner's consent. Owner's consent is also required if part or whole of a privately-owned property encroaches onto Council land (when our Encroachment Management Policy applies).
- If your development may impact the marine environment, public roads, or heritage, you may need integrated development consent from different government bodies. If you need integrated development consent, you must tick the appropriate boxes on the DA form.
- If your DA is for a commercial or mixed-use development with a non-residential gross floor area less than 5000m2 you need to complete a Commitment Table form and submit it with your DA.
- You must also declare any political donations or gifts you have made within the last two years to any local councillor or Council employee by completing a Political Donations and Gifts Disclosure form and submitting it with your DA.
- If you have a shadow diagram as part of your plans, you can get this certified by a professional using a Certification of Shadow Diagrams form.
- Check you are not building near a sewer line, which would require consultation with Sydney Water.
- We also suggest you discuss the proposal with your immediate neighbours.
- Prepare all your documents to lodge in the NSW Planning Portal.
You can call, email or visit our Customer Service Centre for further assistance.Contact Council