Military Road Corridor Planning Study
Council is preparing a planning study for the Military Road Corridor in response to significant development interest along Military Road.
The objectives of the planning study are to:
- engage with the community to inform the desired future character of the corridor;
- develop a vision, structure plan and principles that will manage future development pressure; and
- ensure tangible public benefits support job and housing growth by identifying necessary public domain upgrades and social infrastructure.
This work is broadly divided into two stages. Stage 1 will focus on Neutral Bay Town Centre, between Ben Boyd Road and Hampden Avenue. Stage 2 will comprise the remainder of the corridor, including Military Road Island and Cremorne Town Centre.
The first round of public engagement was completed in August 2018. The outcomes of this engagement process have given Council a better understanding of the local values, opportunities, constraints and aspirations for Neutral Bay and Cremorne. It has also helped inform the desired future character and outcomes for the locality.
Council is now preparing a draft planning study for public exhibition in 2019.
To find out more, please visit Council public engagement website, or download the Council reports at the links below.
Background to the planning study
Over the last two years, Council has been approached by various parties representing development interests along the Military Road Corridor. Council has consistently advised that ad hoc proposals to amend planning controls are not supported and that a comprehensive framework, through a planning study, should lead and guide future development.
The planning study will consider:
- Regional and local strategic and policy context
- Precinct character
- Built form and potential impacts
- Transport and access
- Economic and demographic context
- Employment capacity
- Public domain and social infrastructure
A critical component of this work is consultation with the local community. Please visit the Have Your Say website for latest news.
If you would like to discuss the Military Road Corridor Planning Study, please contact Tomas van der Meer, Strategic Planner - Urban Design, on 9936 8100.