Updated 26 February 2021
- Builder appointed for North Sydney Olympic Pool redevelopment
- Pool will close on Sunday 28 February 2021
The world’s most beautiful pool is set to become Sydney’s best aquatic centre with construction scheduled to begin in late March 2021.
North Sydney Council has appointed Icon SI (Aust) Pty Ltd to redevelop the North Sydney Olympic Pool, improving and expanding the range of recreational facilities at the centre.
The pool will remain open until Sunday 28 February with booked swims in the 50m pool, unless closed by a COVID-19 public health order. Council will then decommission the pool, including removing equipment and memorabilia, before handing the site to Icon SI to start construction.
Icon SI is one of Australia’s largest construction companies with more than 80 projects ranging up to $400M in value. It is part of the Japanese Kajima Corporation which operates across 20 countries.
Icon SI’s portfolio includes a number of aquatic and sports projects including:
- $15M Lane Cove Aquatic Centre (2020)
- $26M Ruth Everess Aquatic Centre in Auburn (2017)
- $45M Camberwell Grammar Sports Centre (2016)
Highlights of the project
The new state of the art fitness and leisure centre will significantly improve and expand the aquatic and recreational facilities available. This includes:
- Existing 50m and 25m pools will be upgraded and art deco features will be maintained, including the harbourside wall, sundeck and heritage stair tower.
- Exciting kids waterplay area with a splash pad and water spray feature.
- New warm water pool suitable for gentle exercise and other programs.
- Expanded gym with harbour views, separate spin and exercise rooms.
- Larger creche with private indoor and outdoor spaces.
- New 970 person grandstand with permanent shade for sun-safe swimming carnivals.
- Ramp access to pools and accessible change rooms
View more information on the history of the project here.
Back to Listing
Posted on 26 February 2021